Music can be a powerful tool for managing anxiety and stress. It has the ability to affect our emotions and state of mind. Different songs may be calming or soothing for different people, as everyone has their own unique musical preferences.
Let’s explore the most soothing Christian music that could help you with anxiety.
10 Calming Christian Songs
Here are some worship songs that may be helpful for managing anxiety.
- Peace Be Still – The lyrics of this song remind us that God is in control and can calm our storms.
- Even When It Hurts (Praise Song) – This song encourages us to trust in God’s plan and to find strength in His love, even when things are difficult.
- Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) – This song reminds us that God is with us, even when we feel like we are in over our heads.
- I Will Trust in You – These lyrics express a deep trust in God’s goodness and faithfulness.
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness – This classic hymn celebrates God’s faithfulness and His presence in all aspects of our lives.
- The Lord’s Prayer – The familiar words of this prayer can be comforting and bring a sense of peace.
- Be Still – This song invites us to quiet our hearts and minds, and to trust in God’s care for us.
- Anchor – The lyrics of this song remind us that God is our rock and our anchor, and we can find hope and stability in Him.
- You Are My Hiding Place – These lyrics express a sense of safety and security in God’s presence.
- Blessed Assurance – This song celebrates the assurance of salvation and the knowledge that we are loved by God.
Why Music About Jesus Christ is Comforting
Music that focuses on Jesus Christ and His teachings can be comforting in a number of ways. Some specific ways that this type of music may be comforting include:
- Lyrics that celebrate Jesus’ love and grace – Hearing about Jesus’ love and the fact that He has paid the price for our sins can be deeply comforting and bring a sense of hope.
- Lyrics that encourage trust in God – Many Christian songs include lyrics that encourage listeners to trust in God’s plan and to rely on His strength and provision. This can be especially comforting for those who are facing difficult challenges.
- Music that helps to create a sense of community – Sharing in worship through music can create a sense of community and belonging, which can be comforting and supportive.
- Music that helps to quiet the mind and bring peace – Some Christian music is specifically designed to be calming and soothing, and can be helpful for managing stress and anxiety.
Christian music that focuses on Jesus Christ and His teachings can be a powerful source of comfort, encouragement, and inspiration for believers.
Study on Mental Health in Later Life
A psychology study has demonstrated that listening to Christian music has a positive impact on the psychology of the elderly in later life. Religious music is readily available to most people, and this means that it can be a crucial resource to promote mental well-being.
The study titled “Listening to Religious Music and Mental Health in Later Life” published in the Gerontologist Journal collected data from 1,024 senior citizens from 65 years and above. The participants included in the study were aging, religious black and white Americans in good health. The aim of the study was to examine the impact of listening to Christian music on mental health.
The results indicated that listening to worship music frequently decreased death anxiety, and increased participant’s satisfaction with life. Moreover, the study found that listening to religious music increased self-esteem and bestowed upon the participants a sense of self-control. The findings also showed that all participants, regardless of their race, black or white, or gender, men and women, or socioeconomic status, experienced the same outcomes. Put differently, religious music improved mental health for the aged across races, gender and income.
In spite of the findings mentioned above, the study had some limitations. One is that it was difficult to tell whether listening to religious music outside worship had a different effect on participants compared to listening to the music during a church service.
Other studies have established the link between various religious practices and good mental health. Some of the religious practices that have been linked to positive mental health include attending church service, prayer, congressional support, meditation, relationship with God, and using religious coping strategies in times of difficulty.
Implications for Holistic Medicine
Many health practitioners and academics have advocated for a holistic approach to health and tailoring medical services according to individual needs. Holistic medicine aims at catering for the individual physically, mentally, and spiritually. Hence, the findings of the study have implications on the approaches used to treat and manage diseases. For example, an increasing number of studies have shown that relaxation techniques and meditation applied after counselling play a role in ensuring good health.
Religious music has a soothing effect, and this improves psychological well-being. This means that listening to gospel music acts as a form of self-therapy or self-comfort technique. The findings of the study emphasise that religion is a critical social-emotional resource that improves the psychology of older adults. Listening to religious music is important among adults because they may experience challenges while taking part in traditional religious practices, for example, attending a church service.